Tuesday, July 20, 2010

What's Going on in the Garden?

I have been here in Maine for three weeks now. My garden tasks have mostly consisted of weeding, mulching, training beans to climb, snacking on alpine strawberries and watching plants grow. Oh – and killing Japanese beetles with my flip flops, or a spare rock if one is handy. Not necessarily a tough life at all.

 
I have seen a lot change since I arrived. When I first got here, I wondered to myself if Mom had forgotten to plant part of the garden, because it just looked like a lot of tall grass and weeds. Turned out that was the squash patch! I spent 2 days on hands and knees weeding it and then another mulching it, after a rain. Now, the only green things are actual squash plants. How rewarding! (I do have to admit that weeding is a very satisfying activity for a neatnik like me.)


 
 
Buttercup squashes are a hard-shell winter squash. They are just starting to grow, and have a very cute shape.
 













Scarlet runner bean flowers on the bean teepee. I taught them how to climb the pole!



















The sunflowers are volunteers that re-seed themselves around the garden every year. Mom has graciously allowed them to hang around and they are thanking her with some lovely blooms.



















We ate the first cucumber for dinner tonight! Sliced thin, with a little red wine vinegar and sea salt …. yum.

The zucchini onslaught is beginning. We’ve eaten the first one, but they are quickly multiplying before our eyes. Time to get creative …
We planted a new row of lettuces and radishes. We planted Easter Egg and French Breakfast radishes…both seasonal staples in my salads at home. Radishes will mature in 3 to 4 weeks, so I am hoping to be able to harvest some before I leave.
Alas, the wild garlic scapes are done now. They started flowering and will seed new volunteer garlic for next year. Who can argue with food that plants itself?

No comments:

Post a Comment