Wednesday, October 27, 2010

One Year Ago

One Year Ago Today

Dare I say, I think that today is worth comparing to a year ago.
Today I woke up early, put on my Lucy pants and clogs and drove to work watching a sunrise.
A year ago, I slept in late, woke up foggy and had no particular place to go.
I took the day off to escape from my every day and vowed not to think about work, or my problems.
Today I chopped vegetables, baked pita crisps, laughed, joked around and made ponzu sauce all well before noon.
A year ago, I drank champagne and ate pastries in Jax's back yard, all before noon. This was good stuff. How I felt at the time was not. Hard to appreciate so many blessings when my view was clouded with entitlement and big bad stories and disproportionate expectations.
Today I worked for peanuts, almost, but enjoyed it. I made dressing and fruit salad and an eight-pound bowl of berries. I made a few people laugh and one sad person happier. I rocked. 
A year ago I shed tears over a gimlet and some bad hummus and waxed reflective and wished that I could play with vegetables for a living. Not sure that was even possible, or plausible.
Today, I got my fervent wish. I played with vegetables. Tomorrow, I will go and see them growing, as fresh as ever possible and feed some bad ones to the chickens.
A year ago I could hardly imagine fearlessly following my gut in such a literal way.
Gratefully, there was a food revolution.
Thankfully, it was MY food revolution.
Viva, Vegetable Revolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment