Saturday, January 8, 2011

Centurion

Mmmmmmmmmmm. Mmmm mmmm mmmm.

That is exactly how I feel after eating the most delectable happy hour snacks at Centurion here in blossoming Downtown Phoenix. We were walking by earlier today to get some coffee beans from our local roaster, when we stopped to peruse the menu of this tiny yet compelling eatery, relatively new in the area. As I oohed and ahhed over the menu descriptions, I noticed that the chefs were looking out the window at us and waving. So, naturally I went inside to check it out. I was intrigued.

Hours later, after failing to entice a few girlfriends to join me for a happy hour snack, my gallant husband offered to take me there instead. The only customers in the tiny interior dining room, we were treated to the pleasure of watching our chefs prepare for the (fully booked!) evening meal and listening in on the typical back-of-house chatter that happens at any restaurant during the twilight hour between lunch and dinner.

Our selections from the HH menu included chef's choice cheese plate, hot cashews, manchego and chorizo risotto and spinach and shitake mushroom risotto. The second risotto order was placed at the end of our meal when we really just needed more wonderful flavors to enjoy. We were not ready for the experience to be over. The meal was accompanied by $3 chef's special wines ... tasty, luscious and perfect with the food.

It would be hard to say that one item was the highlight of the meal, only because they were all a spectacular experience individually. The hot cashews were sauteed with garlic, paprika and red onions and had a burst of meaty, nutty flavor that was addictive. It was hard not to eat one bite right after another. The cheese plate was a dainty selection of cheeses with foccacia, mustard, raspberry jam, fig preserves and blackberries. The selections meshed supremely well, with bold complimentary flavors. But maybe the risotto really stole the show. Our first choice of manchego and chorizo risotto was creamy, subtle, rich, and perfectly balanced. It was all that I could to to restrict myself to tiny bites to make the enjoyment last longer. Of course, a second risotto had to follow the first, and I was still exclaiming all of the way home at how good my mouth still tasted. I have now vowed to learn to make risotto that is somewhere in the ballpark of Centurion's.

The entire personalized experience was heightened by the warmth of the staff -- Chef Eric, Chef Matt and Maitre' D Michelle. I was given a micro tour of the kitchen and treated to an insider's view of the operations of a small European Fusion kitchen brigade. Next time I will be sitting at the bar and peering over to intently absorb every movement and nuance of the Chefs at work.

Needless to say, I am a happy girl at the moment. I have no interest whatsoever in being productive for the rest of the evening and I will probably be begging someone to accompany me back to Centurion at the soonest possible occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment