Saturday, January 8, 2011

Radish Poem

I have the urge to plant new things at Patio Farm. The threat of frost is probably past here, and I have some newly cleared space in my garden. I was browsing through seed catalogues online and looking up photos of veggies on Google when I stumbled across a poem on radishes. I was touched. I love the humble, frivolous radish. I am glad that someone else is inspired, as I am.



Spoon River Vegetables
Radish
--GC aka BB

It is true.
I have squandered my life.

While the frugal celery
strove to tower,
and the conscientious pepper
struggled for dignity,
I was busy admiring the way
my healthy-rosebud-complexion
spread so evenly over
my satin polished skin,
taut over my
luscious rotundity.

I loved it there
in my darkness.
I relished the warmth
of the moist lover
enveloping my swelling belly.

How was I to know
I wore green flags on my head?

But I have never been angry.
I have no regrets.

When they pulled me
from the ground
the earth kissed me goodbye.


 
Poem found by chance at Bossy Betty blog.

1 comment:

  1. I love the poem - thanks Molly.
    "How was I to know I wore green flags on my head?"

    Dad

    ReplyDelete