Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Sens: My Favorite Restaurant

Sens is, without a doubt, my favorite restaurant. We were recently lucky enough to share this fabulous dining experience with two new friends, Brooke and Nathan, who I think appreciate Chef Johnnie's food as much as I do. Located next to the Phoenix Public Farmers' Market, and in the same building as Pasta Bar, and right down the street from Matt's Big Breakfast, Sens is at the epicenter of the downtown Phoenix Food Revolution. Thank goodness.

Sens has been my favorite place to treat myself since we first discovered it almost 2 years ago. The best part about it is the tapas-style small plates that allow a sampling of lots of flavors and textures and sauces. As a flexitarian, I save my meat indulgences for special occasions and Sens is one of the few places that meets my criteria. We feasted on many of my favorites the other evening: sesame tofu, sugar cane pork, la nho beef wrapped in grape leaves, tiny vegetarian eggrolls, red curry tofu, soup gyoza ... and of course my obligatory "side salad" (green papaya, peanuts, and spicy tangy sauce). Besides the super awesome food, the hipster Friday night atmosphere and my $6 ginger vodka ... the highlight of the evening was the extensive and enticing conversation with Chef Johnnie. As a self-taught food philosopher, restaurateur, and culinary trend-setter, Chef Johnnie is truly the soul of Sens.    

No comments:

Post a Comment